2017 Android Auto requirements or availability?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eturk

I'm looking at Audi e-tron or other hybrid purchase within a week or two most.

U.S. California dealer tells me the Android Auto does not work, not available, no matter what you order or do.
Says there's a a line-time credit that will show ($150 off) because they aren't including it in the car.

Anyone have a U.S. model that can describe exactly what is going on?
Is it available in all other countries but excluded from U.S. or maybe just Calif?

please no guesses! Let's keep this a clean thread on exactly where and how Android Auto is available/working.

thanks a bunch!!

I own a Canadian Etron Technik trim and I can confirm that is as Android Auto, very useful for Google maps with traffic,

I took delivery of a 2017 Prem Plus back in October that said "Audi smartphone interface" on the sticker. Took it home, tried to get Apple CarPlay working without success. Went back to dealer after the weekend to ask them about it. They said it mistakenly came from the factory without the interface, no way to add it at the dealer, mentioned the $150 credit if I was interested.

I told them no dice, I wanted the CarPlay. They totally understood and scrambled for a month to find one with the Audi Smartphone Interface. Finally found a Prestige at another dealer and had it shipped to them.

Other than that rather large screw up on Audi's part, I totally love the car.

Check the stickers carefully and verify the car has Auto/CarPlay before you make a deal if that is important to you because it sounds like a bunch got over here with this mistake and the sticker will be corrected with the "delete" that you mentioned. My sticker didn't have the delete. That's the only thing that saved me.

Cheers.

I've heard the same thing. I actually have a 2017 Prem Plus + Tech package at the dock but after being stuck there for 3 weeks, I heard that it arrived with no smartphone interface. Dealer says they are installing it at the port but lots of e-trons got sent to dealers without it. You can tell whether a dealer's stock has carplay/android auto by seeing "Technology Package Credit" on the dealer's online listing.

$150 credit for no Car Play? Talk about chintzy.

Car Play and Android is included for no charge in Volkswagens.

In Audi it's a $4k option.

Thanks for replies!!!

So indeed it seems factory f-d up and made the US spec 2017 e-trons w/o Android Auto. And yes, told me impossible to get it added back.

Kind of a deal breaker as Google Maps is just so good. Along with voice assist... and the continual improvement.

Maybe some car magazines would be interested in the news tip and embarrassing Audi for false advertising? Audi press releases for e-tron clearly state they have added Android Auto & Apple Carplay

I ordered my 2017 A3 etron (Prestige + Sport) in July in Burlingame, CA and took delivery on 11/1. I have Apple Carplay working great with my car. Simply plug in the phone to the USB port and it connects right up. I'm assuming this means I have Android Auto as well if I have Apple Carplay.

Hchi":6a5kifci said:
I ordered my 2017 A3 etron (Prestige + Sport) in July in Burlingame, CA and took delivery on 11/1. I have Apple Carplay working great with my car. Simply plug in the phone to the USB port and it connects right up. I'm assuming this means I have Android Auto as well if I have Apple Carplay.

thanks a bunch everyone!

I was thinking that maybe it's only the Prestige Package level, on U.S. models, that were made correctly with Carplay/Auto. Dealer says very few Prestige level made/requested, so they've never seen one and explains why they don't think you can get Carplay. (Of course, more basic A3s and other models Carplay/Auto.)

How many e-trons sold that were supposed to have Carplay/Auto, based on advertizing, stickers, etc? Is this a class-action that could great a nice payment to those owners?

clarkaddison":12yfj81b said:
$150 credit for no Car Play? Talk about chintzy.

Car Play and Android is included for no charge in Volkswagens.

In Audi it's a $4k option.

Yep, that's been Audi's game for a while. I don't really understand that model, but I guess it works. I'm driving an Audi. :)

eturk":q9596lh7 said:
Thanks for replies!!!

So indeed it seems factory f-d up and made the US spec 2017 e-trons w/o Android Auto. And yes, told me impossible to get it added back.

Kind of a deal breaker as Google Maps is just so good. Along with voice assist... and the continual improvement.

I was big on Android Auto, but I got the 2016 without it (and with the built-in nav). I was a big believer in Google Maps and AA seemed like a great idea. However, I've changed my tune some.

- Using AA overrides many of the Audi MMI functions. I find the MMI very good and intuitive, so I'd actually prefer the MMI for entertainment, Audi Connect, etc.
- Audi navigation can be updated by downloading the maps and installing from an SD card. Fairly painless, but it's certainly not continual/realtime like Google Maps. Still, much better than other nav systems I've seen.
- Audi nav does use Google Earth and (via SiriusXM) traffic updates similar to Google Maps. Plus (and this is a big one for me), it doesn't just tell you about an upcoming turn, it puts you in the correct lane for the turn (same as Google Maps). Very handy.
- Audi nav is tied into Audi connect and the associated Google Search, so I can initiate a search for "nearest Taco Bell", followed by "start route guidance". Very similar to AA, and it's integrated.

Anyhoo...I get that missing a needed feature can be a deal killer for you. It almost was for me, but I've turned out not to miss it at all. YMMV, of course.

I have to agree that Android Auto (can't speak for Apple Carplay) isn't quite the killer app it seems to be. The MMI provides most the same functionality. You can stream Spotify from bluetooth on your phone, the onboard GPS system is pretty good and there is SMS integration. I think as AA evolves to support more apps (like Email) there may be more argument for it.
One thing I found which was nice, a meeting I had scheduled in my calendar popped up on the AA screen when I started the car, and allowed me to map the route to the meeting with tap. Pretty slick.

Ian

What I found is that the MMI does not allow to select Spotify playlist like AA does nor does it provides Google Maps with traffic updates.

PLs":1npkzz9d said:
What I found is that the MMI does not allow to select Spotify playlist like AA does nor does it provides Google Maps with traffic updates.

You have AA working?
If so, what built date & packages?

Back