Retrofitting Virtual Cockpit to 2016

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuje

I've done this (and many other retrofits - MIB2.5, heated Mk8 SW, pACC, BSM, etc.) to my Mk7 2015 Golf Sportwagen, and recently came upon a decent deal on a Virtual Cockpit instrument cluster out of a 2017 A3 e-tron.

Our 2016 e-tron wasn't available with the VC (but, as stated above, neither was my 2015 GSW), so just wondering if anyone here has attempted or looked into pursuing this (admittedly, probably foolhardy) endeavour. :)

Thus far, I've figured I need the cluster and bezel (cluster didn't come with it - argh!), and looks like the whole dash as well. Wondering if the dash is a straight swap, though - like, would the vents line up? Would the MIB display fit?

Got the bezel and tried to do a test fit and....it is LAUGHABLY not close. 😂
First, the connectors aren't remotely close to the same (OE has a small 16 or 20 pin connector, whereas the VC has what looks to me a ~30-pin connector. PLUS the MOST connector. PLUS a video connector - so MIB2 upgrade would definitely be in order as well).

And then there's the physical fit. Dash out of a VC is a definite must-have.
2016.Audi.A3.VC.swap.LOL.1.jpg

2016.Audi.A3.VC.swap.LOL.2.jpg

Back