Picked up a new Etron

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieC

Hi All,
first post on this forum and this appears to be the more active forum with the A3 Etron.

Anyways, I have recently picked up a new Monsoon Grey Etron with comfort pack. I didn't think it was worth waiting for the 2017 model and seeing the 2016 is in 'dealer run out' so reasonable prices.

So far I have charged about 15 times completely from solar. Did a fair bit of homework prior to the purchase (couldn't wait for the Tesla Model 3), test drove the Mitsubishi Outlander Phev, also looked at the leaf and BWM I3. We don't have a lot of choices at the moment in Australia and I didn't want something that looked like Frankenstien had built it, so settled on the A3 even though I was not 100% happy with the "up to 50km" actual 35-45km range. Wanted an EV only function so the A3 ticked most boxes and looked great.

Very happy with the handling, feel and overall package. I did a VAG -COM dump when I got it home which showed some interesting things. I'm digesting the data for now, but have the car going into the dealer for software updates tomorrow- both ECU & MMI. The only issue I have had is the radio switching stations on its own.

It's my first step toward EV and look forward to seeing how it all goes over the next few months.

I've been very happy with my lease; I average between 50 and 65 MPG on my work commute, which is just a bit more than 25 miles one way. I charge overnight, and have been playing with hold/charge stretches on the way to and from work to make best use of EV driving in slower stretches.

I'm surprised by the dearth of A3 e-tron forums. VW Sportwagen and Porsche 993 have all sorts of online discussions. But even on the Audi A3 forums, there is scarcely a mention of the e-tron. That seems to reflect poorly on its sales record.

StevieC":3cvplodb said:
Hi All,
first post on this forum and this appears to be the more active forum with the A3 Etron.

Anyways, I have recently picked up a new Monsoon Grey Etron with comfort pack. I didn't think it was worth waiting for the 2017 model and seeing the 2016 is in 'dealer run out' so reasonable prices.

So far I have charged about 15 times completely from solar. Did a fair bit of homework prior to the purchase (couldn't wait for the Tesla Model 3), test drove the Mitsubishi Outlander Phev, also looked at the leaf and BWM I3. We don't have a lot of choices at the moment in Australia and I didn't want something that looked like Frankenstien had built it, so settled on the A3 even though I was not 100% happy with the "up to 50km" actual 35-45km range. Wanted an EV only function so the A3 ticked most boxes and looked great.

Very happy with the handling, feel and overall package. I did a VAG -COM dump when I got it home which showed some interesting things. I'm digesting the data for now, but have the car going into the dealer for software updates tomorrow- both ECU & MMI. The only issue I have had is the radio switching stations on its own.

It's my first step toward EV and look forward to seeing how it all goes over the next few months.

Welcome, Steve! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. I have a pretty short commute so I drive a lot of EV miles. I always enjoy calculating my "mileage" when I have to fill up. The last tank was 95 mpg, and this one will be over 100 mpg. ;) I pay $0.12/kWh so it costs me about $16 a month (I get free weekends) to charge. With that cost figured in, I got around 53 mpg equivalent last time.

I'd love to see your VAG-COM dump sometime (maybe another dedicated thread?). I just bought an OBDeleven but haven't used it yet. I still have my Jetta Sportwagen for a couple of more weeks, so I may practice on it first. I'm still wondering how much I can/should change with my e-tron since I'm leasing it, and paid for the service program. Don't want them to refuse service for something because I altered the software.

clarkaddison":3cvplodb said:
I'm surprised by the dearth of A3 e-tron forums. VW Sportwagen and Porsche 993 have all sorts of online discussions. But even on the Audi A3 forums, there is scarcely a mention of the e-tron. That seems to reflect poorly on its sales record.

Yeah, I think it's a niche market for Audi and doesn't really fit the "car guy" image the brand has. I don't think it's fair as the to me the car is all Audi in the way it drives, it's just that I can get amazing mileage, too.

The sales numbers I've seen are around 2-300 per month, I believe? I seem to remember reading that was around 15-18% of all A3s sold, so that's not too bad. Not to start a political slant (please, no!) but with the change in administration, the emphasis on these cars may diminish some. I hope not, but we shall see.

Thanks for the welcome. :cool:
I'll post up the data at some point. I had all of the errors cleared that were left sitting in the log from the flat 12volt battery. I'll do another data scan with those DTC's cleared. I expecting the Audi wall unit and interface next week so I 'll connect a 15A 240V circuit and start doing 2 hour charges.

StevieC":3g15kjrc said:
I'll post up the data at some point. I had all of the errors cleared that were left sitting in the log from the flat 12volt battery. I'll do another data scan with those DTC's cleared. I expecting the Audi wall unit and interface next week so I 'll connect a 15A 240V circuit and start doing 2 hour charges.

I think you'll want at least a 20A 240V circuit since the charger pulls 16A and you don't want continuous load to be higher than 80% of a breaker rating. I'd size the wiring for 30A (typically #10 gauge) if you're running a new circuit for some level of future-proofing. You might also consider pulling a neutral while you're at it so you could get 120V off the 14-50 receptacle should you ever need it. Note that Tesla recommends a 50A circuit. That would max out the NEMA 14-50 outlet, but you'll need #6 (copper) wire minimum.

jumper":367mctpj said:
StevieC":367mctpj said:

I think you'll want at least a 20A 240V circuit since the charger pulls 16A and you don't want continuous load to be higher than 80% of a breaker rating. I'd size the wiring for 30A (typically #10 gauge) if you're running a new circuit for some level of future-proofing. You might also consider pulling a neutral while you're at it so you could get 120V off the 14-50 receptacle should you ever need it. Note that Tesla recommends a 50A circuit. That would max out the NEMA 14-50 outlet, but you'll need #6 (copper) wire minimum.

Yep, I'll be allowing for at least 25A. I measured the standard 10A 240V 4hours 15mins charge and it actually draws 7.1A at 235V during the charge. Given the max capacity of the Bosh charger built into the car is 3.3KW, I suspect it will be drawing about 13-14A for the 2 hour charge. I'll measure it nonetheless. Just need to get the new socket installed.

You need a NEMA 6-50 outlet or using a junction box with a breaker of at least 25 amps. The e-tron draws 16 Amps, since P = VI then at 240 Volts the power is 3.8 kW since you need to charge 8.8 kWh this would take 2h15. I bought a 40A station since the price was the same as the 25A and installed a 40A breaker and 8 gauge wire. This way my installation is future prof.

PLs":18bnh4ij said:
You need a NEMA 6-50 outlet or using a junction box with a breaker of at least 25 amps. The e-tron draws 16 Amps, since P = VI then at 240 Volts the power is 3.8 kW since you need to charge 8.8 kWh this would take 2h15. I bought a 40A station since the price was the same as the 25A and installed a 40A breaker and 8 gauge wire. This way my installation is future prof.
You will not deliver 8.8 kWh to the car. (That's GOOD news because you don't have to buy 8.8kWh to drive however far you can go on electric-only).

Chargepoint tells me over a half dozen charges that I've not taken more than 6.86 kWh from them, and they have every incentive to measure it all. That's the max kWh I have bought from them from where the car's EV mode is disabled due to low battery. Also, that's AC kWh. Assuming even a 90% efficient on-board AC/DC charger, the battery got only 6.17 kWh DC of energy added to make up a full charge from "empty."

Chargepoint also tells me that its drawing 3.2 kW of power @ 240V. That's roughly consistent with a 2.25 hour charge time at a a rounded-up 3.2kW (3.2kW*2.25hrs= 7.2kWh). My 120V charging with the Bosch charger draws 9.3kW as measured by my clamp-on Amp meter.

As for 240V outlets, a nominal 50A outlet like the 6-50, or 14-50 is required by the US NEC to have either a 40 or 50A breaker. (NEC Table 210.21(B)(3)) and hence be wired with #6 gauge or larger wire to support that breaker (at 50A anyway). This is causing me some grief as I'd like to install both an inside garage and outside outlet on a second meter (another discussion, another time, but saves money on electricity), and I've already got a 320/400A service that the utility does not want to exceed in total. I may have to derate one of the two 200A legs in that existing panel by 40 or 80A to keep the total service under 400A. We'll see what the utility and county code people decide. This just keeps getting more expensive.

My best course of action may be to put in a 20A 240V standard outlet and see if there is an adapter that will tie it off to the 6-50 plug on the Bosch charger (or I could make one up myself). There's no EV charging future-proofing there, however. What other electrified car will we ever buy in the future that will only need 3.2kW? Sigh.

Back