Older model A3 wheels on an Etron? - winter tires

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverdawg

Hello, Can anyone provide advice/insight into using older A3 wheels on a new Etron? I would like to buy a set of used 16" wheels for winter tires. However, when asking the dealer, who likely wants to sell me new wheels, said that "...it doesn’t mean they won’t fit, it is just not recommended. The thing to worry about is the offset as they may push the wheel too far in or out. The only real way to know is to trial fit them if you wanted to go that route." Trial fitting is difficult because I'd be buying used, but I cannot justify spending so much money on a second set of winter wheels and may just go with switching the tires. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sounds like dealer run around to me. if the 16 inch wheels are 5x112 audi wheels they will fit. the standard etron offset is 50. I have 45 offset on mine with 18 inch wheels, and a lowered car. If your 16 inch offset is more than 50 or less than 45, they may not fit.

One of the two recommended Audi winter wheels model number 8V0 071 497 (Helica) has an ET of 48. I have used them for two winters now and find them excellent. They are easy to clean and came with 205/50 R17 93H XL, Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D rubber.

If it helps: I just traded a 2006 A3 in on a 2016 A3 E-tron, which came with 16" wheels & Continental summer tires. But I'm using the original Audi 17" wheels from my 2006 A3 on the E-tron, with Michelin summer tires. The dealer put them on; the mechanic warned me there might be issues with the tire pressure monitoring system, but in the event there have not been any issues. The tire sizes offered on the E-tron are exactly the same as on my 2006 A3: 225/45/R17 & 205/55/R16. (Also 18", which I haven't used, or wanted, on either car.)

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am able to take the 16" wheels to a tire place to check the offset/brakes, but it sounds like everything will work out. I'll be sure to pay attention to the tire pressure monitoring system.

In the USA, the tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) uses the ABS wheel speed sensors. The wheels do not need any special senders, you just have to reset the system in MMI after a tire change.

FWIW, I picked up a set of used 16" wheels for winter tires off of a '99 A4. They fit perfectly. 16x7, correct 57.1 center bore and an offset of 45.

Back