Looking for a New EV Charger

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panda187123

Hey folks.
I’m on the lookout for a new EV charger to slap up at home. My old 3-pin charger totally gave up on me, and honestly, it was more trouble than it was worth.

Does anyone have any experience with different EV chargers, or can you recommend a good brand and model?

Thanks,

My car charges at home in about two hours. I've used a few different public chargers, but some of them are slow and require a special app. I've had no charging issues.

Hey folks.
I’m on the lookout for a new EV charger to slap up at home. My old 3-pin charger totally gave up on me, and honestly, it was more trouble than it was worth.

Does anyone have any experience with different EV chargers, or can you recommend a good brand and model?

Thanks,
We initially used a GE Wall station EVSE for our 2017 A3 Sportback e-tron, which came free with our first EV in 2012, but it broke down about 18 months later. GE had shut down their division and refused to repair the EVSE, so we bought a Siemens EVSE from Costco. The touch buttons on the unit failed almost immediately, so we got a replacement. It still works, but we are not impressed with the unit. If we were to replace it now, we would go with the Tesla Universal EVSE, which can works with both Teslas (no adapter needed) and all J1772 equipped EVs in the USA, which is everyone else. Our original Tesla Wall Connector, able to be set up from 12 amps to 80 amps has worked perfectly for us since May 2018 for our Model 3. All info appears in the car or via the apps Remote for Tesla and Stats for Tesla. We are glad that there is nothing to go wrong with any touchscreen or buttons on the EVSE.

Check with your utility company. I was offered a Chargepoint unit for something like 50% off compared to regular retail. It is truly excellent in terms of software and build quality. Through the web site I can monitor the charge rate, control the current etc... Even has monthly statistics and calculated cost.

I’d avoid the Enel-X Juicebox for now. It was well reviewed when I bought mine in 2020 and had a higher IP rating for weather resistance than the others I considered, but the parent company is Italian and has decided to exit the US market. A week or ago it looked like the app was going to disappear when they shut down their cloud service but they’ve since announced they’re in talks with a third party to take it over.

Back