Glitchy hybrid mode

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonn_blues

My A3 hybrid is acting weird. When I switch to intelligent hybrid mode, the gas engine starts right away and uses a lot of gas for the first 10 minutes. Sometimes, I can't switch to electric mode at all. Does anyone else have this problem?

There was time when my hybrid would kick on the gas engine unexpectedly, especially in certain driving conditions. It turned out to be a quirk with the system's software, and after a quick update, it ran much smoother.

My A3 hybrid is acting weird. When I switch to intelligent hybrid mode, the gas engine starts right away and uses a lot of gas for the first 10 minutes. Sometimes, I can't switch to electric mode at all. Does anyone else have this problem?
We always start in electric only mode, except when towing our small trailer. We then switch to HEV mode. We have not had it switch to gas only mode when we start this way, though we have had the gasoline only mode suddenly switch on when we are in EV only mode. This happens once every 3-6 months. We rarely drive with the gasoline engine being used at all, taking only short trips which fit in our decreased EV range of 15 miles. Our local Audi dealership has investigated this anomaly twice, but discovered no justifiable cause for the switch to gasoline only. They could not discover any Audi notices justifying this either.

As to how to get back to EV only, the only solution has been to pull over to stop. Wait with everything turned off for 30-60 seconds, then push the EV only button and restart. This has worked every time, except one, where it took 3 of these procedures to get back to EV only. These sudden changes never occurred with the battery any lower than 50% charged.

Hello,
This is normal in order to avoid ICE damage.
When using HEV mode, there are some situations where you might need to quickly accelerate and the ICE will kick in. If your engine is too cold, it will wear it quicker.
It also has to lubricate correctly.
Other brands are doing the same.

Also considers the gear shift. EV and ICE are not « aligned ».
Meaning, if you are at 30 KM/H in EV, you might be in thirds gear.
But when the ICE kicks in, you ll down shift in 2 with higher RPM and so bigger wear.

Back