Engine Bay Cleaning

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I've seen plenty of YouTube vids of people hosing down their engine bays saying its completely safe, I never did have the heart (or cajones) to do it that way. I usually just get a microfiber towel and wipe down the light debris and dust off of everything.

Oh! Avoid using Simple Green on anything Aluminum! I tried degreasing a warm Ford engine with it and it etched everything pretty badly.

While I've seen plenty of YouTube vids of people hosing down their engine bays saying its completely safe, I never did have the heart (or cajones) to do it that way. I usually just get a microfiber towel and wipe down the light debris and dust off of everything.

Oh! Avoid using Simple Green on anything Aluminum! I tried degreasing a warm Ford engine with it and it etched everything pretty badly.
Thank you again! I've done it multiple times on multiple cars.. this is the first car with all that electrical fun times under the hood so i'm a bit nervous about soaking it down with Gunk and then like.. water. Seems like everything you shouldn't do..

I'm with @icee on this one. Although it may be safe to do a blanket spray and rinse cleaning under the hood, I wouldn't risk it. As pointed out already, I would make sure the engine bay is ambient temp before attempting to clean anything.

Back