Charging door fault (2015)

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 809

Hello.

I searched the forum but couldn't find any thread related with this issue I have, was wondering if someone can help me with it.

The front charging door has a rounded dial to lock / unlock it. The inner mechanism of that dial broke, which means that I need to be extra careful when operating it or else it will fall in the floor.

Asked an official dealership the cost of fixing it but it looks like they only sell a full charging door replacement kit, which costs 65€ (~73 USD).

Has anyone experienced this issue? Any ideas on how I can fix the dial without buying the entire kit?

Thanks in advance!

Adriano

Hi,

I had the same problem. I found half of the metal retaining ring still being stuck, it was broken in two pieces.

Maybe it is possible to find a properly sized retaining ring in a hardware store (or McMaster). But worried it may break again - it is a bit to thin it seems.

So I just bend a piece of bare solid copper wire (AWG14) so that acts to retain the plastic part. In order to do that, you have to first remove the charge door from the front, that can be done by gently removing the two hinge-rods upwards. Be careful to check how the spring is placed on the left-side rod, as it needs to be put back when putting the rods back in.

Another thing: there is also another retaining pin (also plastic), this goes into the solenoid locking mechanism. But it got jammed, which prevented the door to open (and hence made it unable to charge). After having to pry the door open, I simply removed the plastic pin, simply by turning it a quarter turn.
This of course means the door can be opened at any time. But there seems to be fairly little harm in that (compared to it being jammed shut).

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your thorough response, I tried doing what you suggested but my ability with these things tends to zero, so I wasn't able to fix it myself and ended up geting a new one :(

I'm surprised the door assembly is as cheap as it is. Are you sure you didn't leave a zero or two off the end? :lol:

Back