Battery casing recall?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knrstz

So I bought my Etron in mid February. I love the car but I've had some concerns with the battery life. The battery would lose charge setting overnight and at times get very low mileage.

My car is a 2016 and is under warranty until October. I called the service department recently and they suggested I bring it in if I had any concerns. After about a week the service tech called and said they were doing a recall on the battery casing and it was pretty extensive since it requires removing the battery from the vehicle. I thought it was odd that they were doing this recall now when I had heard nothing about it and still can't find any info on it. I'm not sure if its fairly new or not because I had previously had my car there about a month before and no mention of a battery casing recall was made.

Upon removing the battery they found corrosion which confirmed that the battery casing was leaking. The good news is Audi is replacing the battery for me at not cost. I thought I would share in case anyone is having similar issues.

Wow - yeah, haven't heard anything on my 2016 e-tron. And just had it in for service (and a couple of software updates) and no mention of battery issue. I wonder if it was a limited number of VIN / production dates (?).

Or, it just hasn't gotten to us yet because of....well....the state of today.

Nuje":39czkqq9 said:
Wow - yeah, haven't heard anything on my 2016 e-tron. And just had it in for service (and a couple of software updates) and no mention of battery issue. I wonder if it was a limited number of VIN / production dates (?).

Or, it just hasn't gotten to us yet because of....well....the state of today.
Whenever I pick it up I'll get more info on the issue and pass it along. It could be a while before I get it back because its taking some time to get the battery shipped.

I received a letter from Audi about this recall. Service Action 93D2 High-Voltage-Battery

Inspection of battery case, and replacement of battery if corrosion is found. May take 4 days to complete.

Free of charge until 12/31/2022

Dear knrstz - does the new battery pack show a higher milage-range after full recharge?

Do you know if the replaced one actually had corrosion?

Thanks!

AvH":2zhanv79 said:
Dear knrstz - does the new battery pack show a higher milage-range after full recharge?

Do you know if the replaced one actually had corrosion?

Thanks!

No the highest mileage I've seen listed off a full charge is 24 miles. That was the highest I ever got with the old battery.

Yes, according to the service advisor my battery had corrosion on it which is why I received a new battery.

When I got to the dealership, the advisor had a stack of papers about 2 inches thick of all the work that was done. He said if not for the warranty it would have totaled around $12,000 worth of work. Fortunately all was covered, as it should have been.

I just dropped off mine yesterday. I didn't look into this at all and thought it might be a simple software update or something. I asked them after a few hours on when it will be done, they said this takes at least a week or two.

Should I be hoping for a battery replacement? Will that be better in the long run? Will I need a battery replacement in the future anyway?

I guess dealers take this opportunity to change a "corroded" battery, since they don't have much other work anyway.
So we'll see lots of batteries replaced...

I got my car back after 9 days. There was a line of people at the service area so I didn't have a chance to ask them questions. The car seems the same. Doesn't feel any different. After a day, the check engine light came on. It's the weekend so I can't do anything about it yet. I'll make an appointment next week.

sung":3oxlmzqb said:
I got my car back after 9 days. There was a line of people at the service area so I didn't have a chance to ask them questions. The car seems the same. Doesn't feel any different. After a day, the check engine light came on. It's the weekend so I can't do anything about it yet. I'll make an appointment next week.

After I got mine back the oil light came on. They did an oil change in addition to the battery recall. Apparantly the over-filled the oil so they just had to drain it off. However I had to turn around and drive back to the dealership that is two hours away so it added about 4 hours to my half day trip.

I got an update on my car. Faults with the cooling system. They said it was the water valve. I'm not sure if that is related with the recall fix.

knrstz":ft1niy93 said:
sung":ft1niy93 said:

After I got mine back the oil light came on. They did an oil change in addition to the battery recall. Apparantly the over-filled the oil so they just had to drain it off. However I had to turn around and drive back to the dealership that is two hours away so it added about 4 hours to my half day trip.

I've had that happen before! The A3 etron takes less oil than the A3 sedan but they don't pay close attention that it's an etron and they overfill it.

I brought mine in to the dealer in early March right before the shutdown in CA. I did not have corrosion so they just replaced the mount and housing and connector. But because of lack of parts they had it for almost a month. I see no difference in battery performance after getting it back.

Hello so I just got my E tron back from the dealership and I noticed that my car is a little less responsive off the line. Or is that just me? It seems a little smoother shifting 1st through 3rd gear. Anyone else notice this?

Back