2017 E-Tron doesn't seem to charge from 0km EV in D-mode?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuttivini

Hi Guys,

Last month I bought a second hand 2017 A3 E-Tron, imported it from Germany to The Netherlands.
Loving the car and I'm trying to charge the car (home and at work) as much as possible.

Today I forgot to charge the car at work, so when I drove back home (52km / 32miles), I drove on gasoline.
I started In D-mode, Hybrid Hold.
After around 35km / 22 miles, I noticed the EV range was still at 0KM...?!
Of course, most of the kilometers were covered on the highway, but I also used the brake pedal a number of (extra) times and used the flippers to regenerate extra/see the meter in my virtual cockpit in the 'charge area'.

I decided to switch to S-mode, Hybrid Hold.
The EV range started to raise quickly. When I arrived home, the EV range was 7km / ~5 miles.

Is this normal???
Doesn't it charge/raise the EV range from zero in D-mode, Hybrid Hold???

Drove from my home to work this morning, fully charged.
After around 10km / 6miles of EV-driving (D-mode, EV), I switched to Hybrid Hold (D-mode).
EV-range at that point was 25km/16miles
Drove ony highways, traffic jam and around town, did 'enough' braking/regenerating.
When I reached work, driving around 40km/24miles in Hybrid Hold, the EV range was still 16miles!!!
So, the same as the scenario in my first post, it didn't charge at all.

What's wrong / what to do???
:roll: :? :roll:

In normal drive mode with Hybrid Hold set the car keeps the battery level as it was when you set it to Hybrid Hold, any regeneration you do is used during the driving. I think that is because in D the car uses a mix of electric and ICE.

That is different in Sports mode because the the car uses only ICE (plus electric only if you floor it to boost), therefore any regen goes into the battery and increases your range.

I hope this makes sense.

@andymccrory: Thank you for your explanation.
Looking at your explanation, I understand there is nothing wrong with the behavior of my E-Tron?...
So it is normal that the EV range always stays at the same mileage (like the mentioned 0km EV in my first post and the second test, with 25km EV range), regardless of how many miles I travel in hybrid hold mode / how many times I use the brakes to regenerate?

I think you may find on very long runs in D and Hybrid Hold that the battery may creep up above 0 but not by much. If you move to sport it will increase much faster but of course you will be using more gas.

So in 'theory' I should see a difference in the 'live view' fuel consumption meter, driving at a contstant speed/cruise control on a straight road, between 'D - Hybrid Hold' and 'S - Hybrid Hold' ????
(Because you explained: 'any regeneration you do is used during the driving. I think that is because in D the car uses a mix of electric and ICE.')

With 'live view' fuel consumption meter I mean the bar on my virtual cockpit, indicating the current fuel consumption (bar reaching from 0 to 20), I don't know the English word for it, like on this picture:
https://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/...ron/large/2436x1552-a3-sportback-etron-vc.jpg

I have the 2016 version so I'm not familiar with the virtual cockpit, but I would expect lower mpg in "S Hybrid Hold" mode than in "D Hybrid Hold" mode.

Some of that difference will be compensated by added range to the battery but you will loose some total energy by using "S".

"S" is fun though!!!

Back